James D. “Butch” Poovey, Managing Shareholder, James D. Poovey, Inc.
- Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning
- Business Planning
- Real Estate
James D. “Butch” Poovey is the Managing Shareholder Attorney of James D. Poovey, Inc. He has practiced law in Humboldt County for over 42 years.
Mr. Poovey is certified as a specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization. He is one of only several attorneys so certified in that area of law in Humboldt County. In addition to planning, Mr. Poovey has handled complex trust and probate litigation matters, including numerous will and trust contests. This combination of experience in both estate planning and trust and estate litigation sets Mr. Poovey apart from other attorneys in Humboldt County. He provides clients with knowledgeable insight on avoiding potentially troublesome issues in their estate planning documents.
Mr. Poovey also has extensive experience in business and real estate. These areas of law frequently overlap with estate planning. Having expertise in all of these areas make Mr. Poovey the most experienced overall estate and business planner in the area. This breadth of experience has benefited hundreds of clients and their families in completing straightforward and, at times, complex estate plans.
Mr. Poovey is committed to (1) organizing and simplifying clients’ estate and business planning; (2) minimizing clients’ potential liability and other risks; (3) developing and fostering loyalty and integrity in his relationship with clients and clients’ trusted advisors; and (4) providing the most responsive, prompt, and highest quality legal counsel in the community.
Principal, Premier Financial Group, Inc. SEC Registered Investment Advisor
- University of California at Berkeley (B.S. 1975)
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D. 1978)
- Member, San Diego Law Review (1977-1978)
- Admitted to Bar, 1978, California
- Certified Specialist, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law, State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization (2004)
- Member, Humboldt County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, State Bar of California Section, Trusts and Estates
- Community Board Member, Providence St. Joseph Hospital